I have not been entirely idle, although my study is still full of rubbish. Slightly less full than before, having cleared the surface of the desk and filled the recycling bin with paper, but the shelves are still untouched. Between outings, I've been crocheting like a maniac, always with two or three projects on the go. Here are my creations!
Another little Folky Bird. The wings are outlined with pearly beads and it's got heart-shaped shell button eyes. I'm thinking that these might make good Christmas tree ornaments. I might make some more for the shop for the season of joy and jingle bells.
Hoot Hats! Daddy Owl, Mummy Owl, and Baby Owl. A lady setting up a new shop in Lincoln got in touch with me through Folksy expressing interest in hats like the one currently on my shop. These new ones are actually much better because they're in a nice cotton Rowan yarn and they're lined with the cotton jersey in the next picture. Cuteness!
Using my ironing board again for cutting out fabric. It's just the best way to do this! I use it for wrapping presents too. Top tip!
Now, a senior moment. The Hippoo hiding in the tissue paper isn't terminally shy, I just forgot to photograph it before wrapping. *is idiot* It's a very pretty Hippoo, made as a present for a friend who's having a baby. Not sure what kind of baby, so I used a lilac shade of Baby Cotton Kapok and made little white hearts to go on the side. I wish I'd taken a picture, because it was very pretty. The next picture shows the yarn and the very first stage of making. *rolls eyes at forgetfulness*
And the major project of the summer - a gorgeous flowered cushion cover! I worked out a pattern for a rosette square and picked some pretty colours in Patons 100% Cotton 4ply. There was quite a lot of experimenting, and I originally thought of making the squares into a bag. Much better as a cushion cover, though, I think.
The back's in plain white granny squares. I had wanted to do a single large granny square to cover the whole back, but I cannot do one that doesn't swirl round. More experimenting necessary. I'm obviously doing something wrong...
The cushion cover has a plain white cotton pillow-case style liner, and the crochet cover slips over, closing with five little ribbon ties. Sweet!
More pictures of this in progress are available on my Flickr photostream - just click on the badge in the sidebar. The cushion cover and the Folky Bird will also be going onto my Folksy shop later on this week.
And now for something completely different...
If anyone's interested in encouraging wildlife in the garden, this is a fabulous plant - a Monarda or Bergamot. We put it in last year when we redeveloped a border, and it's been brilliant! The most amazing flowers, and every time I look at it, there are at least a dozen bees on it. They adore it! The picture above was taken in June or July, I think, and the one below was taken this morning. Still flowering away, although it's going over a bit, and the bees are still in love with it.
Okay, I must go and get on with things, and I must resolve not to neglect my blog during termtime as much as I have over the summer. More updates soon, I hope!