Saturday 1 March 2014

Knitting again, etc...

It's been a long time, but I haven't been idle.

Firstly, a knitted jumper for Himself's son.  I did him one years ago when he was a student and he wore it until it stretched down to his knees, so I thought it might be time for another one!  This one he put on on Christmas day and didn't take off for three days.  I think it might have gone down quite well.
It got ironed and everything!  I was pleased with the way it turned out.

I was especially pleased with the neck.  I'm always worried about necks - whether they'll be big enough, too big, whatever.  This one worked really well, done with needles one size larger than the rest of the rib.  It fitted well too.  I tried it out on Himself before wrapping it up to be sure it would fit - he's pretty much the same size as his son.  Now he wants one too.  The back, front and one sleeve are done.  Half a sleeve and the neck to do...

The trouble with men's jumper is that they only want such dull colours.  My soul needs some more cheerful colours!  Back to the crochet! 
A couple of blingy hanging hearts to ease myself out of the dull, masculine colours rut.

And a Hippoo for my friend's birthday.  I had some pink wool that was absolutely her.  I've started embellishing my Hippoos, sometimes chain-stitching around a heart motif, and now expanding into freestyle loops and squiggles.  Every one unique!

In the middle of all this, I had a destash on eBay.  Thirty packages of varied yarns that I'd managed to persuade myself that I really wouldn't use.  (I still have a big Really Useful Box of yarn in my cupboard.  And another by the sofa.)  I've taken to posting things in bin bags, bound with packing tape, because I've found that packing tape doesn't stick to brown paper any more.  Don't know why.  It wasn't until I'd packed all these and piled them up that I realised how much like a drug-smuggler my study makes me look!

Another Hippoo, for my sister-in-law's birthday.  The yarn's sparkly, but it doesn't really come out on the picture.  

These Hippoos are for the shop, when I get round to putting them up there.  Things have got a bit behind because I haven't been very well, but I think I'm coming out of it now, so time to get stocked up again!

I was contacted by a lovely customer a few weeks ago, who wanted my little Grunge Bunny - see here - and also wanted to make a custom order.  Easter gifts for all the staff at her school.  Flower brooches for all the ladies, and something suitable for two gentlemen.  I suggested little hanging birds for the men, done in subtle colours.  They are a little sparkly, but not too much, I hope.

And the full collection!  Thirty different flowers, letting my imagination run wild,

Wrapped up in tissue paper in a posting box, like a box of chocolates.  Bottom layer...

... and the top layer.

It's all been so exhausting.

Now it's time to restock.  Someone also bought my entire stock of bunting, so I'll make some more of that.  Along with a number of new brooches for the shop, that'll get some bright colours going again.  That will make up for the dark greys in Himself's jumper.

And it's Spring!  March 1st, thank goodness!  There are daffodils, crocuses, snowdrops and primroses in the garden.  We're planning some new planting and we'll have some pretty flowers to look forward to this summer.

Blogging is good for the soul, I think.  I mustn't neglect my blog, because it gives me space to picture my life and really appreciate that little lovely stuff.  

~*~*~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment